What is Disabled Students’ Allowance [DSA]?

Students with a Specific Learning Difficulty [SpLD], such as dyslexia, who are already studying, or are about to begin a full or part time higher education course [including some Open University and postgraduate courses], may be eligible to apply for Disabled Students’ Allowance [DSA], which is a non-means tested government grant to help towards the cost of non-medical support, including specialist study skills, tuition, and IT equipment/software, etc.

Non-medical support can help to remove the barriers to learning that some students may have due to their disability.

Who is DSA for?

DSA is available to both full-time and part-time students, those on unpaid sandwich courses, open and distance students, and those on postgraduate courses. You may apply for DSA even if you have already taken a higher education course, although you can’t apply for more than one at a time.

You may claim DSA in addition to your student finance loans and grants to cover any extra study-related costs you incur due to an impairment, mental health condition, or learning difficulty.

It is neither a benefit nor a loan, so it doesn’t need repaying. The amount you’ll receive depends on your individual needs not on your income, nor that of your parents or partner. There are some restrictions on what you may use your DSA for.

See Help if you’re a student with a learning difficulty, health problem or disability – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk) for more information.